Tuesday, October 1, 2013

First Chemo Memory


I am attempting a huge social media push from now until the 12th of October to raise awareness and money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk. Though I can celebrate being cancer free it is import to remember that others still fight the battle and need our support.

Each day I will try to post a short snippet of a memory/lesson from my cancer journey. Since it is the first of October, I will start with my first chemo treatment.

As I walked into a room full of bald, wrinkly heads with sick, sad eyes, I felt like an outsider. Though my facts told me cancer knows no age or fitness level, my heart told me I was too young, too fit, to be amongst the "sick." I had no idea what laid ahead of me and that is exactly what scared me the most. With so many unknowns swirling about me, my type A personality was not coping well. Would I get sick? Would my hair fall out? Could I still workout? What if the treatment didn't work? Would it hurt when they put the needle into my port? Then before my brain could ask another question my eyes brimmed with tears as the nurse counted to three and poked the needle into my port. Looking at me with a tender smile she said, "The fear of the unknown is the worst part." And from that day I vowed to always remember and live by the Winnie the Pooh quote - "Promise me you'll always remember you're stronger than you seem, braver than you believe, and smarter than you think"

No comments:

Post a Comment