Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chicken Nuggets


On Day 8 of my Facebook stampede to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society I will share a memory from one of my favorite nurses.

Friday after my chemo treatments, I always had to return to the cancer center over my lunch break to receive a shot of a white blood cell booster to ensure that I would be ready to receive chemo again in two weeks. This was always a quick, simple appointment where the nurses asked how I felt the through the night, took my temperature and blood pressure and gave me a quick shot. One particular week during treatment, I was having a bizarre craving for chicken nuggets. Because I have the best husband in the world, he retrieved them and I scarfed them down while they pumped me full of chemicals. The next day when the nurse asked how I felt after my treatment, I told her my stomach didn't feel its usual self. I had felt a little more nauseated than normal and just felt sick all night. With her syringe raised in the air, she looked me straight in the eye and said, "You think it might have had anything to do with all those chicken nuggets you ate yesterday?" Touché, Linda! I loved that she called me out. I loved that she wasn't babying me. More than anything, I loved that she was being 100% real with me.

http://pages.lightthenight.org/ia/DesMineL13/ItsGoTime

No comments:

Post a Comment