Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Zip Zap

Yesterday, I experienced my first radiation treatment. I rushed from work to the cancer center and barely had a chance to sit in the waiting room before they called me back. I laid on the table for a few minutes while they got my markings all lined up. Since these people seem to be so secretive about what they are doing, I just watched the machines rotating around me and listened to the various beeps, clicks, and honks that sounded at different points. I was under the impression that they were just taking some x-rays to make sure everything was properly lined up. Ready to ask them what or if the radiation would feel like, I was surprised when they came in the room and unhooked the blue mask. "What? It's over?" I asked. "Yep, all done. See you tomorrow," and they ushered me out the door.

Today was not quite as fast. Somebody must have had a blue mask panic because I didn't get called back for my zapping until 30 minutes after my scheduled appointment time. This time I paid closer attention to the beeps and honks and deduced that when the long honk is sounding, I am receiving radiation. I get zapped from the front for 10 seconds and then the machine moves and zaps me from the back for another 10 seconds. Twenty seconds total seems like an awfully short amount of time for which to waste my break. I kind of want to opt out of the rest of radiation as it is such a hassle, but Shane won't let me.

My radiation oncologist said it would be awhile before I noticed side effects, but I noticed the first effect yesterday afternoon. I think the zapper killed one of my saliva glands (which the doctor said may be a possibility). Since yesterday afternoon I have had such a dry, cottony mouth. I keep drinking water, but that only makes me have a full bladder and still leaves my mouth dry. And after today's treatment, my jaw is very sore and tender to the touch. It even hurts to open my mouth very wide. Maybe my coworkers will appreciate the upcoming silence for the next three weeks. I, however, am already counting down the days until the zip zap process is over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are cancer free! I hope radiation is going well. Praying for you Lori!

    ReplyDelete