Thursday, October 13, 2011

Results are in...

And I am cancer free!!! I met with my oncologist today and in his words the PET scan was an A++. No cancer detected. The exact wording from the scan report - "There is no obvious abnormal tracer accumulation currently and this suggests that it is in remission or has resolved." It feels good to say I no longer have cancer. However, it is a bit strange because it isn't over yet. I still have to go through radiation treatment. I guess that will really zip zap any tiny traces of bad cells. Since the PET scan was negative, I will only have 17 treatments. I have a "dry run" tomorrow where they will get everything set up for radiation and then I actually start the zapping on Monday. According to my calculations, my last day of radiation should be November 8th. My next appointment with my oncologist isn't until March - how crazy! After months of seeing the doctor at least every two weeks, it will be a nice break. But first I have to get through 17 daily trips to the cancer center. It is like the sprint to the finish line, the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence.

We are heading home to Iowa tomorrow night for a short visit. It will be beyond great to see family and celebrate the good news.

2 comments: