Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Snack Time

Last Thursday I went for my third chemo treatment. All in all it was pretty uneventful. But as I walked out the door from work, the reality of this new routine hit me. I was just doing what was normal now - leaving work early every other week to go get drugs pumped into my system. But this whole process isn't "normal" and shouldn't have to be normal to anyone. So I took a picture to remind myself that even though each treatment may not be as memorable as the first, each one is getting me one more step towards healthy.

About halfway through the pre-treatment drugs, I asked Shane if he would go downstairs to the snack bar and get me something to eat. The nurse that was lucky enough to be tending to my crazies this time offered up the fact that they had some snacks in the back that I could have. She did, however, offer it with the caveat that "they don't always have snacks." Yeah, I know, after the ice incident I am well aware that nothing is a guaranty around this place. After I accepted her offer, she brought me some Kool-Aid and peanut butter crackers. It was a yummy little snack and she even pulled up my medical tray so I could have a place to put it. And peanut butter crackers and a juice box sitting adjacent to syringes, medical tape, and rubber gloves is just what I needed to remind me that all of this is far from normal.

1 comment:

  1. I love your sense of humor all the time, and especially during this un-enviable phase of your life. When you can enjoy Koolaid and peanut butter crackers while pumping drugs, you are definitely a woman of vision and hope. You go girl! Love you, Deb

    ReplyDelete