Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Day on the Job

Wednesday I had a MUGA test to determine a baseline for my cardiovascular function. Everything went very smoothly minus the small detail that I am pretty sure it was the lady's first day in nuclear imaging. As she called me back she explained every tiny detail of what was going to happen. Usually I appreciate knowing what is coming. I do not, however, need to know what exact chemistry is happening with my blood cells. That was my first clue Linda was new to this - she still remembered all of that. My second clue came as she was putting an IV in and as I felt a little more pain than normal I heard the words, "Oh! There we go! I had the wrong angle." Next time you should keep those thoughts in your head, Linda.

After waiting a very short 15 minutes for the first injection to circulate, she injected me again, this time with a little more ease. She then strapped me to the narrowest of beds and began positioning the device that would image my heart. As she began toggling the remote and the device started to move towards my feet I had my third clue that this lady was not only new to the job but she also didn't know her basic directions - up, down, left, right. Finally with the device in place, the test began. It was a very bearable 10 minutes. Half way into the test Linda came close to my head, patted my shoulder and in a voice that one might talk to a 3 year old said, "I'm going to go right down the hall. I'll be right back, honey." Thanks for the update Linda. I was worried.

Overall, it was a smooth appointment, despite it practically being Linda's first day on the job. I was appointment free today which is good because I am gearing up for the biggest appointment yet. Tomorrow I start chemo and will be at the Cancer Center for about four hours, three of which I will be hooked up to an IV not allowing me to go anywhere but the chair in which I will be sitting. Here we go - it's go time.

No comments:

Post a Comment